“My husband and I decided to take our daughters to sun and sand after the several feet of winter snow in Philadelphia had us on the brink of a break down! We booked it by fluke after I was unable to find a place anywhere nearby. I called the Gulf Beach Resort, spoke to Greg and waited while he searched and searched for a room that would accommodate us. Perhaps he took pity on us, but he did a great job! When our flight was cancelled DUE TO SNOW, we called him before we even knew if we would be able to get down to Florida. He left everything set up for us so that, even if we came in after the office was closed, we would be able to get into our room. Planes, trains and automobiles later, we arrived well after midnight but Greg had everything set up for us.
This place is fantastic – unbelievable location, stunning views of the beach and sunset, super clean, super friendly staff, everyone bends over backwards to help and accommodate, herons and osprey walking around like they own the place thank-you-very-much! Condos and timeshares, but rooms available also. Tiki picnic areas, playground, heated pool, beach literally 10 paces from our room, relatively short walk and shorter drive to Lido’s center of town. The shops are beautiful, restaurants great. It is like straight out of a movie depicting a 50’s-60’s era family place. Quiet, relaxing, lovely!
So…below is a break-down of pros and cons:
– location (stunning)
– Greg and staff SUPER-friendly, knowledgeable and helpful
– affordable and family friendly
– clean, well-maintained
– most rooms have kitchenettes for preparing meals
– kayaking, playground, shuffle board, picnic area with grills, heated pool
– Lido close by, great shops and restaurants
– they do NOT provide beach towels, so bring your own
– Lido’s center of town is great but PARKING is a NIGHTMARE (walk or bike if you can)
– restaurants booked months in advance, so make reservations if you want to avoid a wait.
[We ate at the Blue Dolphin Cafe for breakfast several times. Great food, even better staff, loooooong wait. And they fudge it. If they say it is a 20 minute wait, count on 1 1/2 hours, no kidding. Not exaggerating. Or….go early, like 7 am. La Colonne is a nice Italian restaurant: food good, service ok. Crab & Fin: beautiful, GREAT food, pricey but delicious. Service ok.]
– traffic out of Lido is CRAZY! Start out early if leaving the key.
We loved it here! We can’t wait to go back. You just don’t find charming places like this around anymore. I looked at it and cringed at the thought of a developer coming by and putting in yet another….well, you get the idea.”
Stayed February 2014, traveled with family